This course is designed to provide you with the business English skills you need to build your confidence in speaking, reading, writing and listening in a business context. The focus is to increase your vocabulary and practice using Business English in a typical business situation via telephone, meetings, presentations and negotiations.
In line with this vision, the ability to write emails, memos and business letters will be driven through simulated meetings, role plays and brainstorming on case studies. Activities would also examine cross cultural business practices.
It can also provide an excellent preparation for MBA studies. It focuses on English for meetings, presentations and negotiations, as well as giving you the skills to communicate well in less formal business and social situations.
Business English, Part I is the first of two courses intended to give students a solid foundation and a working knowledge of business English. The class is taught at an intermediate level and students should have a level of intermediate English language proficiency and writing experience. Various aspects of business English will be covered, including, but not limited to measurements, social language, participation in meetings, and presentations. Also in the course is an introduction to business letters – enquiries, ordering, confirmations, etc.
28 lessons and each lesson would be for 3 hours.
Upon completion of this level of the course, the student will be able to :
- Handle informal and formal introductions
- Describe work duties and job positions
- Write a personnel profile
- Speak appropriately on the phone, take messages, use general telephone language
- Present a company – facilities, departments, strengths
- Exchange information about products, dimensions
- Create projects and designs
- Discuss history of a company and products
- Understand and use basic socializing and chatting language
- Set up and participate in meetings – actions, suggestions, decisions, problem solving
- Demonstrate appropriate letter writing skills – enquiries, orders, confirmations
- Fill out application forms
- Business English Brochure