Business & Management BA (Hons); University of Central Lancashire
via UK Transfer Degree Programme (Business)
This degree course has a distinct emphasis on practical learning and you’ll develop core business skills in key areas such as problem solving, decision making, team working and communications.
You are encouraged to put theory into practice and will have the option of undertaking a one year paid placement, as well as short-term internships. You’ll have the opportunity to engage in some consultancy practice ensuring you have the awareness and skills to succeed in the changing world of business.
Based in Preston, Lancashire, UCLan began as The Institution for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge which was founded in 1828 by Joseph Livesey’s Temperance Society. Subsequently, the institution was known as Harris Art College, then Preston Polytechnic and later, Lancashire Polytechnic. In 1992, it was granted University status by the Privy Council and last year celebrated its 20 year anniversary.
- UCLan offers a huge choice of courses, with more than 500 undergraduate and 250 postgraduate, within 16 academic Schools.
- UCLan’s Lancashire Business School is renowned for strong industry links and its research has been rated as ‘world leading and of international excellence’ in the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2014).
- UCLan has invested £120 million on new buildings and facilities to enhance teaching, learning and leisure activities. JB Firth Building is the £12.5 million facility for forensic science, the £15 million Media Factory provides creative students with a realistic exposure to the media world and the library is a contemporary and flexible study space with a wealth of excellent learning resources and extensive collections.
- Situated in the heart of North West England, Preston is ideally placed for national and international travel, just 40 minutes from Manchester, 2 hours 15 minutes from London by train and located on the doorstep of the stunning Lake District.
- In the 2014 Higher Education Business and Community Interaction Survey (HEBCIS) survey UCLan was ranked second in the UK for the number of student start-up business and first in the UK for number of business start-ups still trading after three years.
- The results of the latest National Student Survey (released September 2012) showed UCLan's best performing areas in subject areas ranked against the same ares in the other UK Higher Education institutions to include Business Studies (5th out of 92) and Management Studies (8th out of 71).
- The UCLan library has been placed in top ten of UK universities for its 24/7 opening hours and facilities, in the Times Higher Education (THE) annual Student Experience Survey 2013.
- UCLan achieved 5th place in the UK for good personal relationships with teaching staff by the Times Higher Education (THE) annual Student Experience Survey 2013.
- Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre (STFSC) is UCLan’s new, multi-million pound, state-of-the-art, indoor facility on the main University Campus. The £12 million Olympic standard UCLan Sports Arena is off-campus and provides facilities for athletics, rugby league, rugby union, football, hockey, netball, tennis and cycling.